January 1, 2011 Day 5 The final day
So by this time we were totally and utterly exhausted! We got up early again with the hopes of being on the Early Show again, this time making sure that people were watching :) to find out that they had prerecorded it. Oh it was not a good start. We were tired and we dragged out of bed for something that wasnt even there. So we walked to Times Square and if you know anything about NYC Times Square is not really close to where the Early show is taped. You would think as tired as we were that we would of taken the subway but we decided to walk. You see so much more while walking especially when its more than 15 blocks to your destination.
The aftermath of New Year's was every where in the street. Though the television stations broadcasted and bragged at how quickly the clean up was I must say that it wasnt all quite true. Yes Times Square was cleaned up and the block around Times Square but every where else was covered still in confetti and trash and it was a mess. Workers were working like crazy to clean up Times Square but very few workers were found on other streets cleaning. I guess its all about the perception that they wanted to give to the world.
Times Square the morning after and I mean 9:00 morning on a Saturday was dead. There were few on the streets and nothing was opened . . .except the huge toys r us. This toy store is so huge that they have a Ferris wheel inside the store. So of course we went for a ride. Now I hate and I mean HATE Ferris wheels but I wasnt as scared on this one, I guess since it was inside and it didnt feel like we were that high since I could see the other floors. While there we met up with one of Lauras old college room mates and one of her friends.
Since we had a little time before we had to leave for our flight we went on a hunt with Lauras friends friend to find a NYC fireman for her to get a picture of. I must admit that I was totally bored with the idea of meeting a true NYC firefighter! I mean it is a man in uniform in one of the largest cities in the USA so we went on a hunt to come up short, nobody was at the firehouse. But it was an adventure and a good adventure to end our trip on.
We checked out of the hotel, went for lunch and this awesome hamburger joint. Loaded our stuff onto a hotel shuttle and headed to the airport, which on a side note is one of the ugliest airports I have ever seen!
While waiting on our flight, this man walks in front of us. I look at him strange, and say to Laura that he looks familiar to find out that it is the band leader for the Jay Leno show, you know the short bald guy. Yep! By the time I put two and two together it was too late for a picture! :) Luckily there were no problems with the flight home or with our luggage! :) And as you can see we made it all back in one piece.
The next post will be pictures, I promise! :) Til then, Adios!
hooray! ready for pics ;)
ReplyDelete